This part of training serves as both an introduction to Crazy Monkey Defense, and building the necessary foundation for future striking skills to be built off. In this component of the Crazy Monkey fight game we focus on the distance game, including long range striking, kicks, and crucially building solid defense.
The CM2 game is about taking the fight to the opponent. Here the focus shifts to the midline, and how to surf the pocket of an opponent who is bent on striking you out, but turning the table to win. This is also where students are introduced to the 2nd phase of defense, the CM2 hand defensive action.
The CM3 game focuses exclusively on clinch fighting, and how to avoid it. Students are introduced to Crazy Monkey’s signature clinch striking game, the Straight Jacket Clinch. This is also the game where students learn to execute devastating knees and elbows.
FIGHT STRATEGY & TACTICS
In this part of Crazy Monkey Defense training the focus shifts to both strategies and tactics that a student can deploy against various opponents. Crucially this is where we spend a lot of time helping students learn, develop and hone their inner game.
COACH RODNEY KING M.A., PPC, RSME
Rodney is the creator of all the Crazy Monkey Defense Trainers Programs and Courses.
COACH ERIC KOLESAR MSc
Eric has been with the Crazy Monkey Trainers Team for over a decade. In addition he is the Vice President of the Crazy Monkey Defense Program and Regional Training Director of the Americas. Eric runs a full time, fully branded Crazy Monkey facility where he teaches all of our programs.
COACH JAMES WOODFIELD-JONES
James has been with the Crazy Monkey Trainers Team for over a decade. In addition he is the Vice President of the Monkey-Jits Program and Regional Training Director for Australia/SE Asia. James runs a full time, fully branded Crazy Monkey facility where he teaches all of our programs.
- +WHERE CAN I TEACH CRAZY MONKEY DEFENSE?
- You can teach Crazy Monkey Defense anywhere you like. However please note, Crazy Monkey needs to be taught as a separate stand-alone program. We do not allow CMD Trainer to integrate the program into any other martial arts based program, unless that program is one of those under our umbrella. This doesn’t stop you teaching CMD in other Academies that may offer other martial art styles, but when teaching CMD it has to be taught as a stand alone class or session.
- +WHAT DO I GET FOR MY LICENSE FEE?
- The Trainers License fee you pay allows you to legally use our curriculum, logos, and the Crazy Monkey Defense name. In addition, you are assigned a mentor as your go to person for everything Crazy Monkey. Finally, you are given a 50% discount on all local and international training events (some are even FREE for Trainers).
- +HOW DOES THE GLOVE PERFORMANCE SYSTEM WORK?
- Over the years we have developed a performance based evaluation structure for both trainers and students alike. As such, all our students and trainers work through our Glove Ranking System. This starts with White Gloves, where the focus is on developing long range striking skills. Moving into Blue Gloves the focus changes to the intermediate range, where now the main aim is to be able to take the fight to the opponent. Moving into Purple Gloves, the focus shifts to clinch fighting, where students and trainers learn to develop their Straight Jacket Clinch game, specifically designed for striking our of the clinch. From Bronze Gloves onwards, we focus on students and trainers developing their inner game.
Through all glove progressions students and trainers are awarded laces. Laces are similar to the stripes given out on belts in BJJ. Laces acknowledge measurable technical game components trainers or students have achieved success in. After three laces, students and trainers are then able to qualify for the completion of the particular glove program they have been working on. This requires that they then are able to perform, in live sparring all that had been learned throughout the glove training process.
- +DO STUDENTS WHO DO CMD WITH ME GET A CERTIFICATE?
- Yes they do. Both you and your students will progress through the Glove Ranking System. Each part of the CM game is tested at the end of each glove rank. For example CM1 leads to full white gloves, CM2 leads to full blue gloves, CM3 leads to full purple gloves, and CM4 (strategies and tactics) leads to bronze, silver and golden gloves.
- +HOW MANY TRAINERS LEVELS ARE THERE?
- There are only three trainer levels in Crazy Monkey Defense. Apprentice trainer where all future trainers begin their journey. Once an apprentice trainer is qualified they are then recognised as a licensed trainer. Only trainers who hold the level of Golden Gloves are referred to as coach.
- +ARE THEIR ANY CONTRACTS TO BE SIGNED?
- Yes, we ask that you sign a simple contract stating that should you no longer want to be part of the CMD Team, and or you fail to renew your license, that you are no longer allowed to use CMD’s intellectual property, including terminology, logos, name etc. This also means that you trainer certificate will no longer be valid. Trainer licenses are sent out on renewal and are only valid for a 12-month period.
- +IS IT POSSIBLE TO BECOME A TRAIN-THE-TRAINER?
- Yes it is. But we have incredibly high standards. Before you could even be considered to certify other trainers in CMD you will have to be a minimum of a Golden Gloves yourself.
- +CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE FREE COURSES THAT COME WITH THE CMD TRAINERS PROGRAM?
- As a member of the CMD Trainers program you have the option to certify at not extra charge to your license fee, for either the Weaponize-Your-Body, EDGED Defense, Sparring-Mind courses, or all three. If you go to either of these course pages, you will see outside of a certification fee, a trainer of these courses is required to pay a yearly license fee. You will not be charged this license fee to teach this courses, in addition to Crazy Monkey Defense.
However, to certify, you need to make it to one of the certification events held around the world. While you may have access to some of this material in the CMD Trainers program, and even teach concepts from these courses, you cannot say you are certified to teach these courses individually until you have completed the certification course. If you attend a certification event you will be offered a significant reduced rate, and be asked to pay a once off certification fee payable before the course commences. At present to certify in most of these courses for current CMD Trainers is US$500 (this is subject to change).